ADHD: Causes, Symptoms In Children And Adults, Ayurvedic Understanding And Treatments For ADHD
ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), a prevailing neurodevelopmental disorder of childhood, concerns the child’s social, learning, and behavioural abilities. In this article, Dr Kausthub Desikachar discusses ADHD: Causes, Symptoms In Children And Adults, Ayurvedic Understanding And Treatments For ADHD.
The symptoms of ADHD usually are first observed and diagnosed after the age of 2 and usually persists through adolescence into adulthood. Children with ADHD may struggle to pay attention, control spontaneous reactions (reacting without thinking about the consequences), or be over-enthusiastic. Studies show that boys are at 3X the risk of getting diagnosed with ADHD more than girls.
Dr Kausthub Desikachar says though ADHD cannot be prevented, recognizing it early and taking reliable therapy can benefit a child or grown-up with ADHD manage their symptoms.
What Causes ADHD In Children?
Although the exact cause for ADHD is unclear, studies worldwide infer that ADHD may be caused by genetic, environmental or non-genetic factors that may contribute to ADHD, such as:
- Intake of toxins such as lead during pregnancy.
- Poor nutrition during pregnancy.
- Habits like smoking and alcohol intake during pregnancy.
- Premature delivery.
- Reduction of dopamine chemical levels in the brain.
- A structural difference in the brain.
Symptoms Of ADHD
Symptoms In Children
Symptoms of ADHD are usually classified into three types such as:
1. Easily deviated
2. Inability to complete tasks or comprehend directions
3. Not being capable of paying attention
4. Makes careless blunders
5. Cannot recollect all of the everyday activities
6. Having problem with organizing things
7. Cannot sit still for a while
8. Tends to daydream
1. A habit of interrupting others while communicating
2. Mostly fidgety
3. Keeps bouncing while sitting
4. Plays loudly
5. Always having the need to move
6. Excessive talking
7. Difficulty waiting for their turn
8. Blurts out responses
This includes a blend of symptoms from the above types.
Symptoms In Adults
Dr Kausthub Desikachar says the symptoms of ADHD may improve in a few ways and become more severe into a few attributes when the demands of adulthood increases. They involve:
1. Inability of managing time and often being late
2. Being forgetful about things
3. Staying anxious most of the time
4. Having low self-confidence
5. Difficulties at career
6. Struggle restraining temper
7. Effortlessly frustrated
9. Being obsessive over something
10. Acting slowly over things
11. Frequently bored with life
12. Difficulty concentrating
13. Mood fluctuations
15. Relationship problems
Treatment For ADHD
Medicines such as stimulants are the most commonly prescribed remedy for managing ADHD. They assist in controlling hyper activeness, impulsive behaviour and improves concentration in a child with ADHD. These stimulants work on the brain chemicals, like dopamine, and sometimes worsen impulsive behaviour over a long period and produce side effects.
Hence, Dr Kausthub Desikachar recommends treating ADHD with a combination of behavioural therapy with a pediatric therapist, Yoga, and Ayurvedic medication.
Ayurveda uses natural herbs, a wholesome diet, abhyanga, Śirodhāra, etc., to treat ADHD.
Dr Kausthub Desikachar says it is normal for parents to get frustrated and exhausted with overwhelming emotions when raising a child with ADHD. Parents must be tutored about the disorder and its management, including skills to help a child manage his/her behaviour, which will help you have control of everything.
Subscribe for blog updates on Poems, Photography, Health & Wellness, Spirituality & Culture and travel.